You don’t need to be a millionaire to go to rehab, but a person with a little extra money to spend and the desire to get sober can choose from many luxury rehabs in the United States.
Southern California, specifically picturesque Malibu, is home to the highest concentration of expensive rehab facilities in the entire country. However, there are many luxury rehab options in the New York City metro area, Pennsylvania, Florida, Arizona and Utah, too.
Guests can expect a focus on privacy, comfort, fine dining, and recreational activities in a beautiful setting. Most centers offer a holistic approach to addiction treatment, including extras like meditation and mindfulness, and even equine and wolf therapy, in addition to individual and group therapy. There is a positive industry trend towards addressing co-occurring mental health and behavioral disorders, and several offer alternatives to the 12-step model, such as SMART Recovery.
The highest-end facilities charge over $30,000 and some as much as $65,000 per standard month-long stay. This contrasts with low-level programs for $5,000 and under per month, with sliding scales and public assistance. While insurance coverage is recommended, it’s not always guaranteed.
Here are the 10 most expensive luxury rehab facilities in the United States.
- Passages Malibu
- From the moment you call, you are instantly informed that Passages is not a 12-step program and they do not believe that addiction is a disease. Instead, Passages offers alternatives to 12-step addiction treatment, personalized for each client from over 21 different therapy methods. Clients will experience psychotherapy, adventure therapy, hypnotherapy and even physical ropes courses. A 30-day stay at Passages Malibu – a 10-acre property overlooking the Pacific Ocean where Mel Gibson, David Hasselhoff and Natasha Lyonne have sought treatment – runs $64,500. They accept some insurance, with the exception of Medicare or Medicaid.
- Dunes East Hampton
- Located on an estate in the Hamptons, the Dunes offers a holistic approach to addiction care featuring yoga, meditation, hiking opportunities they call “eco-walks,” Shiatsu massage therapy, auricular acupuncture, and fine local cuisine in addition to a core of individual, group and family therapy options. Clients benefit from a clinical team with over 300 years of collective sobriety, and the direction of founder Joe McKinsey, sober 30 years. The Dunes allows computers and cell phones so patients can stay connected to work. Patient cost is $65,000 for the first 30 days, with a 90-day outpatient program for $2,000 per month. Total cost depends on insurance, and payment is required in full at admission.
- AToN Center
- Standing for “Aid to Navigation,” this San Diego facility can accommodate up to 12 people at a time in two houses on beautiful grounds, featuring gardens and decks with views of the nearby coast and mountains. Treatment approaches are diverse – patients can use 12-step and non-AA alternatives, and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is provided. The price tag – about $45,000 a month, with a $15,000 nonrefundable fee for a private room and $200 per day for detox – means patients can enjoy a glassed-in gym, sand volley court, fresh water pool and spa, fountains, barbecue, fire pit, outdoor shower, a sauna with a 360-degree view, and organic meals.
- Promises Malibu
- The luxury rehab facilities offer treatment to up to 6 patients at a time—often famous faces like Britney Spears and Robert Downey, Jr., both alums. Individualized care plans include private and group counseling, 12-step meetings, and other treatments like acceptance and committment therapy (ACT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), yoga, acupuncture, neurofeedback, art and equine therapy. Participants in the young adult program can even participate in wolf therapy, hanging out with the pack and its leader. Promises has top-notch addiction knowledge at the top levels. CEO Dr. David Sack has more than 30 years of experience in addiction treatment, and writes regularly for Huffington Post. The cost per client starts at over $55,000 per month.
- Caron Pennsylvania
- A non-profit facility located in Wernersville, Pa., Caron has specialized programs for teens and adolescents, adults, and senior adults aged 65 and over, all gender-specific and based on the 12-step recovery model. Patients – some famous faces like Steven Tyler and Liza Minnelli – may also participate in physical, emotional and spiritual wellness activities like yoga, art, and outdoor recreation on- and off-campus. Caron offers a sliding scale based on assets and debt for their fee of $32,875 for 28 days, and an 84-day extended care option for $52,560.
- Betty Ford Center
- Well-known as a spot for celebrities like Stevie Nicks, Ozzy Osbourne, and the late Elizabeth Taylor, among many others trying to get sober, the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage has over 30 years of addiction treatment experience, and a solid program of treatment options for people seeking recovery from various addictions. Patients have access to the 20-acre grounds, mountain and desert views, outdoor swimming pool, a gym with personal trainers, and a treatment team including a physician, nurse, psychologist, primary counselor, case manager, spiritual care counselor, family counselor, dietitian, fitness trainer and chemical dependency technician. The current cost ranges from 33,000-67,750 per month, depending on patient needs.
- Situated in a beautiful villa in Marin County near San Francisco, Reflections is an “executive rehab” serving up to six patients at a time, primarily professionals who are permitted access to phones and laptops any time they are not in programming. Bedrooms and bathrooms are private, and stand-out amenities include a certified executive chef, individual workstations, a pool and hot tub, game room, and gym. Their holistic treatment approach includes access to a minimum of five individual and five group therapy sessions a week, and many supplemental therapies, including yoga and meditation, art therapy and adventure therapy. Reflections also offers specialized programming for LGBT individuals. The estimated cost is $55,000 per month.
- The Meadows
- The Sonoran Desert hideaway treats addictions to alcohol, drugs, and sex, as well as mental health conditions like depression and anxiety. The Meadows offers a 45-day inpatient program for $54,300, not including travel and insurance copays, and a series of one-week workshops at $2,925 apiece, primarily for trauma survivors. Patients – Tiger Woods is an alum – have access to an extensive clinical team including experts like John Bradshaw and Pia Mellody. The desert retreat offers wellness activities and alternative therapies, including t’ai chi, yoga, acupuncture, meditation, and equine therapy in addition to psychotherapy and 12-step work.
- Located by the Intracoastal Waterway in Florida, Lucida offers a 30 to 90 day chemical dependency program for $33,000 and a women’s mood disorder program for $38,000. Clients can expect the “comforts of home” in luxurious townhomes adjacent to the treatment center, various treatment modalities including EMDR and biofeedback, and 12-step alternatives, including SMART Recovery. Spanish-speaking counselors are available in the bilingual program.
- Cottonwood Tucson
- Nestled away in the Arizona desert, Cottonwood is a rehab facility with a strong spiritual component. Addiction treatment is centered on the 12-step model, but co-occurring programs are also offered to aid depression, anxiety, PTSD, OCD and beyond. Meals are prepared by an award-winning chef and vegetarian options are highlighted. In addition to individual and group therapy and 12-step meetings, patients have access to yoga, t’ai chi, expressive arts, and rocks and ropes courses. Admission for adults to Cottonwood is $39,000 for 30 days, and their 90-day adolescent girls program is priced at $65,000 for 90 days.